Répression excercée sur les enseignants d'Oaxaca, Mexique
Montreal, December 4, 2006
Felipe Calderón Hinojosa
Presidente de MÉXICO
Fax + 55 52 77 23 76
La Centrale des syndicats du Québec (CSQ) – the national union federation which represents 172 000 of workers in the Quebec’s public sector– is very concerned with the continued human and trade union rights abuses affecting teachers, their union and the people of Oaxaca.
CSQ has received messages from sección 22 del SNTE-CNTE with disturbing facts about the repression of the teachers' movement. Sección 22 del SNTE-CNTE denounces police brutalities intended to silence them (resulting in four dead and dozens wounded); the detention of four teachers' leaders and the non payment of teachers' wages.
More recently, CSQ has been informed by the Oaxacan Human Rights Network (RODH) that several arbitrary detentions occurred during a public demonstration. Additionally, several of them were done using torture and violence. Those detained had no access to their constitutional rights. There whereabouts is unknown.
Dear President, CSQ urges you again to intervene immediately to end the repression in Oaxaca and to bring about peaceful negotiations with the SNTE representatives of Oaxaca in order to reach a settlement, bringing about a quality public education system and improved status for Oaxaca teachers, one which improves the quality of education.
We also ask :
- For a cease to the authoritarian acts of intimidation committed by the Federal Preventive Police, the Oaxaca State Police, and a variety of federal authorities.
- That the Mexican State assumes its responsibility of respecting the human rights of all people and all Oaxacans, especially the detainees.
- That the detainees have an opportunity to communicate with family members.
- That in the cases where no crime has been committed, the detainees are immediately released.
- That the physical and psychological integrity of the detainees be guaranteed, as well as medical attention in cases of injury resulting from the November 25th incident.
President Centrale des syndicats du Québec (CSQ)
c.c Lic. Carlos Abascal Carranza, secretario de Gobernación Fax + 55 50 93 34 14, firstname.lastname@example.org
Dr. José Luis Soberanes, presidente de la Comisión nacional de derechos humanos Fax + 55 56 81 71 99, email@example.com
Lic. Ulises Ruiz Ortiz, Gobernador del Estado de Oaxaca Fax: + 951 5020530, firstname.lastname@example.org
Fred Van Leeuwen, general secretary, Education International Fax : +32 2 224 0606 Fred.Vanleeuwen@ei-ie.org
SNTE - Fax: +525-55-57.02.11.97 Coordinación national de la sección 22 del SNTE-CNTE – email@example.com
Director of Human Rights - Interior Ministry +52 55 5128 0234 Governor of Oaxaca, Ulises Ruiz Ortiz: + 52 951 505 0531